National Crime Records Bureau has released data for 2017. It has shown several crucial insights regarding the crime against women(CAW).
Source: The Hindu
Reason for poor conviction rate in cases of CAW:
- During the trial, either the witnesses turn hostile or lack of statement from eyewitness delays the process, thus affecting conviction.
- Pending investigation in CAW.
- The investigation gets affected due to law and order duties.
- Cases of molestation, rape and other heinous crimes against women are treated on priority basis but those such as cruelty by husband or his relatives take time to investigate.
- The Centre has decided to set up fast track courts to clear the pending 1.6 lakh cases of crime against women and children across 31 states within a span of 2 years.
- The CAW cases are dealt with high priority and the chargesheet is filed within 60 days.
- Separate teams for investigation and law and order in all police stations.
- Dynamic identification of crime-prone areas
- Deployment of police resources
- Dedicated women helpline no. 1091
- Exclusive women help desk at police stations
- Anti-stalking services for women
- Stationing all-woman PCR vans in vulnerable areas
- Concerted action against consuming alcohol in public places
- Informing civic agencies regarding dark patches for rectification
- Self-defence training for women/girls and
- Special drives against tinted glasses in public transport vehicles.