Context: Indian PM recently released commemorative coins of Rs 75 denomination to mark the 75th Anniversary of FAO today through video conferencing.
More on the news:
- Indian PM also dedicated 17 recently developed biofortified varieties of eight crops to the nation.
- The coin marks the long-standing relation of India with FAO.
The Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- It is a specialized agency of the United Nations that leads international efforts to defeat hunger.
- Headquarters: Rome, Italy
- Founded: 16 October 1945
- Objective: To achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives.
- With over 194 member states, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide.
Role played by FAO
- FAO has helped to increase agricultural production and eradicate hunger all over the world, including India.
- It has played a huge role in increasing nutrition and its service is respected by more than 130 crore Indians.
- Indian PM said this year's Nobel Peace Prize to the World Food Program is also a major achievement for the FAO.
Image Source: PIB