Context: Three of the autonomous institutions of the Department of Science & Technology, are among top 30 Indian Institutions as per Nature Index 2020 ratings based on the research published in the top journals, a measure of research quality.
Findings of Nature Index,2020
- Top 3 Ranking of Institutions from India:
- Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)-160th position overall
- Indian Institute of Sciences (IISc)-184th position overall
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR)
- Top 3 institutions of DST are
- Indian Association for the Cultivation of Science (IACS), Kolkata at 7th position,
- Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), Bangalore at 14th position and
- S. N. Bose National Centre for Basic Sciences, Kolkata at 30th position.
- The overall ranking of India is 12th in the index.
Image Source: Dna India
About Nature Index
- It is a database of author affiliation information collated from research articles published in an independently selected group of 82 high-quality science journals.
- The database is compiled by Nature Research.
- The Nature Index provides a close to real-time proxy of high-quality research output and collaboration at the institutional, national and regional level.
- Users of the Nature Index are those with an interest in the origin of high-quality scientific research from around the world.
- The Nature Index also provides institutions with an easy means to identify and highlight some of their best scientific research.
- Criteria for the Ranking
- Sectors: Academic and Corporate.
- Subjects: Chemistry, Earth and Environmental Science, Life Sciences, Physical Sciences.
- Journal Group: Nature and Science.